- MOMO challenge – We have recently been made aware of a new online trend that has come to the UK from the US. It is called the MOMO challenge and encourages children to complete risky or dangerous challenges progressing to self-harm and suicide. MOMO originally started as a WhatsApp challenge but we have now been alerted that MOMO content has been added into common YouTube videos watched by children. Advice from the 2 John’s who came to run our workshop on E-Safety on how to protect your children is:
- Having a line on communication with your child at home so they are able to speak to you if they come across anything that remotely links to this situation or indeed anything that links to “suicide advice”.
- Ensuring children know they can raise these issues with their parents without then having to deal with an immediate ban from electronics etc for their honesty so the 2 Johns advise you to think carefully about how you handle the issue.
- Be aware if your child has been self-harming for no reason or talking about scary things related to death there is a strong chance that this latest issue may be involved somewhere.
MOMO challenge fact sheet
This is the image typically used as MoMo
- SNAP’s Christmas Survival Guide has lots of useful information to help you and your child through the festive. https://www.snapcharity.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/SNAP_ChristmasSurvivalGuide2018.pdf
- We have been provided the below information from Essex Police which may be useful for older teenagers.
#Ask for Angela
- Megacentre Family Support Team are offering a listening ear if you are living in or wanting to make a change to an abusive relationship.
Megacentre Family Support Team
- Things to consider when buying tech gifts this Christmas. With Black Friday and Cyber Monday over and Christmas fast approaching there are plenty of new gadgets that parents and carers may be thinking about buying for their children. Childnet have some advice to help you get to grips with the safety features available on popular gadgets this Christmas, as well as some key questions to ask before buying connected toys. www.childnet.com/blog/things-to-consider-when-buying-tech-gifts-this-Christmas
- Specialist Safeguarding Consultant, Andrew Hall; www.safeguardinginschools.co.uk